09 August 2008

The Countdown Begins

Days Until I Leave For Paris, Become an Ex-Patriot, Perfect Walking in Heeled Boots, Take up a Smoking Habit, and Publish the Great American Novel in French: 17


So I'm sitting in a parking booth at an hour that has only really seen my face a handful of times, brooding about summer homework but pretty happy that its raining and that all the blisters on my feet are heeling. I've bought boots- and flats- and they all seem pretty angry at my toes for shoving themselves inside, so they've started to attack. But with an eye for French fashion standards, I've begun some pretty aggressive defensive maneuverings: band-aids on blistered toes and some of those jelly-sole inserts to really let my shoes know who is boss.

Who knew I was so good at rambling? Here's all I know: despite mostly beautiful, simmering Seattle days, beaches, summer reading and Seattle's one month allowance for frozen coffee drinks, all I can think about is this elusive, perfect black coat. And maybe a black trench. And a fitted peacoat. And a pair of flat boots....

And some black flats.

I'm drooling. I'll stop. Okay. But summer isn't over. Even though I can't wait until the dreary, freezing rain that Paris promises (you just THINK I'm joking), summer in Seattle is still proving to be amazing. Last Sunday I went sailing with my friend Nanette in Puget Sound-- six hours of a lackadaisical bobbing to get around a bend and back, and it was magnificent. We sailed right out to where we could see the Seattle skyline, a beautiful view that I never figured I'd see from that angle.

And last Wednesday--some of you will never believe this of this late blooming, blond, California girl-- I went surfing. Can I still call it surfing if I never really stood up on the board, and I got to my knees about once? Oh, but on my stomach, I rode those waves real good! It was more fun than I'd guessed, less scary (until the waves got bigger, and I took my well-earned place on the beach, snacking on cookies and making well-informed comments about the other surfers), and I was amazingly sore the next day, although it didn't feel like I had worked hard at all.


But that was an amazing surfing trip to Seaside, Oregon, Josh and I road-tripping down to meet his sister, Kindra, and brother-in-law, Mike. They are amazing people, fun, interesting, kind and generous. I met Josh's openly embracing grandparents (his grandmother already wants me to write to her, and told me she loves me-- but that was after a glass of wine).

Anyway, not sick of summer yet, just sick of Shakespeare. Although I've been know to "nail" Shakespeare essays. As the countdown continues, I just hope I can resist my natural urges to shop.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Expatriate, not Ex-Patriot, silly!

Unknown said...

Deleting comments already? hehe! I look forward to reading your blog about your adventures! I've been blogging recently too, but I am sure you will have much more interesting stories. And don't take up smoking, it makes you smell funny! ;) We would love to have you come and visit when you eventually make it back to this country. The girls send their love too. Are you taking your webcam? Maybe we can skype while you are there! Eat some bread and cheese for me, please! And send us some postcards.

Josh said...

Dig the blog, girl! Looks like your wearing a cute hat in the surfing photo! Bye!

Myshelle said...

my hat? my hair doth thou mean? (ew shakespeare) But to Gretchen--I actually would love to visit you all when I get back too-- it's been way to long. I'm very much planning on it!

Roxymau said...

MY myshelle!!!! I completely understand the natural urges to shop!!! I still haven't gotten around to telling Mike how much i spent on Roxy things at the beach. Soon he'll find out and the beatings will begin. But oh how cute i'll be in my new hot pink and black Roxy coat! And thank you for your sweet compliments toward me and the husband... we've fallen in love with you already, it's nice to know your starting to feel the same:) HOPS & HUGS